Thursday, November 22, 2012

RED DAWN Spoilers ahead

Okay, so I never saw the first Red Dawn but I know that it had Patrick Swayze in it and I know that it had to do with Soviet Russia invading the US.  This Red Dawn is a bit different but completely awesome.  In this one, North Korea takes over using an advanced EMP device.  Then baddassery ensues.  


First of all, let me say that Josh Peck has totally pulled a Jerry O'Connell.  He was an adorable little fat kid that grew up and got really freaking hot.  Though I could take Josh a little more seriously if he hadn't been doing intense face throughout the whole movie.  He did a really good job in this movie, though, and his deliverance of the final speech, one which had been previously given by Chris Hemsworth toward the beginning of the movie, was awesome.  Though Josh playing a high school kid seemed a little extreme, he did a very good job.

Speaking of Hemsworth, he was very good in this movie.  His American accent is pretty awesome.  He had good chemistry with Peck, who played his younger brother, and the whole thing was done really well.  Him being a marine that rallies the troops was awesome.  Sometimes he was a dick, but that's because he had to be a dick.  And he got to be the one to drop the single F bomb in the whole movie.  It was completely appropriate though.  "You fucked with the wrong family."  God that was amazing.   I am still wondering, though, why in the scene when the truck was stuck in the mud, Thor was letting all the weak humans try to push the truck out of the muddy spot while he stepped on the gas.  And yes, I just made that joke.

Now, on to Josh Hutcherson.  Let me just say, Peeta got bad ass.  At first he was this adorable little nerd that threw up when he saw a dead guy and couldn't even handle shooting a deer.  By the end of the movie, he was wielding that gun like Rambo and inspiring the citizens to rise up.  If The Hunger Games had guns, Peeta would have won in about 2 seconds flat.  That's all there is to it.  He did a really good job.

And let me tell you, NOTHING screams America like a Mustang with a 50cal strapped to the top and followed by a HMMWV.  Now, why did I spell out HMMWV rather than just saying Hummer?  Well my friends, that's because a Hummer is a pretentious asshole "I have a tiny penis and a lot of money" luxury vehicle that is driven around every day streets.  A HMMWV is the military version, called a hum-v.  High Mobility Multi Wheeled Vehicle.  There you go.  Those were not Hummers in that movie.  They were HMMWVs.  Just saying.

Now on to Jeffrey Dean Morgan.  He made an awesome retired Marine.  And I loved the accuracy of their M16 rifles only firing one shot at a time, unlike some movies that have M16's going off like AK47s.  Also, THEY HAD SILENCERS!  I never got a silencer for my M16.  It made me seriously jealous.  Can you tell I like weapons?  I know, it's kind of sad but at least I don't go on murderous rampages with the weapons I so adore.  I just like them.  Anyway.  JDM was good at rallying the troops as well, very good at getting things done and just all around awesome.

I was a little happy to see Kenneth Choi too.  He didn't have a very big part, but he was also in Captain America so there you have 2 Marvel movies represented.  I was trying to see who else from Marvel would pop up.  Just saying.

The only other Asian face I recognized was Will Yun Lee and that made me happy.  I'm glad that they didn't round up every recognizable Korean face for this movie.  He played Captain Lo, the prefect for that area or something like that.  Basically he was in charge of the bad guys in the city.  He's the one that fucked with the wrong family.

Let me tell you a little bit about Connor Cruise too.  He did a great job.  Very good actor.  Not as bad ass as his daddy TC, but still good nonetheless.  Very emotional.

Over all I give this movie my seal of approval.  It was very well done.  It wasn't overly effects driven and it wasn't horribly ridiculous.  There were a lot of funny moments in it.  A lot of warm moments.  There is blood and death and violence but that's what happens in war.  And that is exactly what this movie is all about.

MAJOR BIG ASS SPOILER AHEAD DO NOT READ PAST THIS POINT IF YOU PLAN TO GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!   And I do recommend you go see this movie.

I was extremely disappointed when they killed off Hemsworth's character.  I said "Why'd they kill the pretty?"  But, he wasn't the only pretty.  But I realized something.  They had to get rid of his character because he was stealing all the badassery and they needed the Joshes to have some of that.  He needed to share and when you're Thor, sharing the badassery is just impossible.  So he had to die.  It was very sad, though.  Very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment