Friday, July 22, 2011

CAPTAIN AMERICA!!! Spoiler Alert ahead.

STAY UNTIL AFTER THE CREDITS! Which is the case with all Marvel movies.

SPOILER ALERT AHEAD! Don't read this if you don't want to know details about the movie.


The first thing that I have to say is that it still freaks me out to see Chris Evans head on a short, scrawny little body. It's just WEIRD! That's not him at all. And, after this movie, I officially no longer hate Chris Evans. I still don't like him all that much, but I don't hate him either. So that's a start.

I was very confused at the beginning of this movie. I couldn't get what was going on. Everything looked way too modern. It wasn't until the black mass appeared in the snow that I realized that they were finding Cap frozen in the ice. I knew about that part of his story but I didn't realize they were putting it in the movie at the very beginning.

Even though there were a lot of special effects in this film, it wasn't completely CG. I did like seeing Natalie Dormer even though it was briefly, but that was later in the film. She was the "The women of American owe you a debt of gratitude" or whatever the line was. It was a precursor to making her look like a slut so I didn't pay that much attention. I do know that it was in the trailer, though.

Stanley Tucci will always have a special place in my heart. And I love him as Dr Erskine. When Steve says "Where are you from?" and in his thick German accent Erskine says "Queens." That was too priceless.

There were only two people in Hollywood that could have possibly been cast as Colonel Chester Phillips. And since R. Lee. Ermie apparently wasn't available, the other option was the amazing Tommy Lee Jones. I love that man so much it's not even funny. And he did such a great job in this role. He's always been beautiful when it comes to delivering lines and he did it with gusto in this movie, especially since they gave him some of the best lines in the script. My personal favorite was "I'm not gonna kiss you!" So great.

Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark did a very good job. And there were a lot of scenes with Howard that the only thought I had in my head at the moment was "Like Father/Like Son." Especially the bit when Howard tests out the crystal and gets blown halfway across the lab. I had a momentary flash back to Tony first testing out the flight boots in the first Iron Man movie. VERY nice.

Everyone was very perfectly cast, although Neal McDonough will always creep me out. He did a good job as Dum Dum Dugan, though. I think we might get a chance to see him again at some point but I'm not really sure on that one. Depends on how they play this out.

The story was very well done and I am so glad that they did a great job on this. While waiting for the movie to start, with the theater completely quiet someone said aloud "Dear God please let them not have screwed this up." and of course the entire theater laughed.

There were moments that had everybody laughing and cheering. When Cap shows up with the 400 soldiers that he freed from the Red Skull, the theater erupted in applause. It was so great. There was a lot of laughing and a few "ooohs" in the appropriate places. And there were more cheers when Nick Fury showed up at the end. It was so great.

I think one of the best parts of this movie though is The Avengers trailer at the end. I am SOOOO looking forward to that movie and next summer can not come fast enough. There's a little bit of everyone in the trailer and Tony walking up to Thor, patting his arm and saying "Nice Swing" just made everybody laugh.

I have to admit that the musical numbers and the war bonds selling made me cringe. Especially the song that the girls sang. It just made me want to smack somebody upside the head repeatedly. And Chris even managed to look like he would really rather be doing anything else but that. So this has proven that Chris can at least act a little bit which has given me cause to not hate him anymore.

Over all the movie is very well done and I highly recommend it to any and everyone there is. I didn't see it in 3D and I'm personally glad I didn't, but there were a lot of parts in the movie that would be very cool in 3D if you can handle that sort of thing.

Go see this movie. That's all I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment